httpd-test-dev mailing list archives

From James G Smith <JGSm...@TAMU.Edu>
Subject Re: [RFC] Apache::Build
Date Fri, 18 Jul 2003 13:56:13 GMT
Stas Bekman <stas@stason.org> wrote:
>James G Smith wrote:
>> I've been moving several of my Perl modules from MakeMaker to
>> Module::Build.  I'm not seeing support for Module::Build in the
>> Apache::Test suite, so I thought I'd take a stab at subclassing
>> Module::Build to provide support for it.
>
>You are talking about a similar kind of wrappers to ModPerl::MM (for 3rd party
>modules) and ModPerl::BuildMM (for mp2 itself), right? Looks like ModPerl::MB
>is the right place then, using the same mnemonics...

I'm also looking at Apache::Devel::Build.  I'll keep ModPerl::MB in
mind as well since it's a shorter name.

>I don't remember any detailed discussions regarding MB. However a good archive
>is here: http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-test-dev
>linked from:
>http://perl.apache.org/maillist/test-dev.html#Searchable_Archives

Thanks.  I should have looked there -- I was thinking `ASF' not
`mod_perl' as the venue for the project, so I was looking at that
level.  I didn't find anything significant in the archives.

>> (1) Is Apache::Build a sensible, everyday name?  Should it perhaps
>> reside instead under Module::Build or Apache::Test?  I have no
>> problem with this module being its own distribution on CPAN.  I also
>> have no problem contributing it to an existing project.
>
>modperl-2.0/lib/ModPerl/MB.pm ?

We could.  The expectation is that the Perl module is being tested
with Apache, therefore, it probably is running in a mod_perl
environment.  If so, then bundling it won't decrease its effective
distribution.  But, (next question below).

>> (3) Support for multiple versions of Apache/mod_perl.
>
>You mean across 1.0 and 2.0? In that case it shouldn't live in the mp2 distro.
>  Or it should have a dual life on CPAN, which is not quite supported by PAUSE
>yet.

I'm still working out the issues involved in doing so, but
theoretically, yes.  I should be able to write a module, tell the
build script what my directives are for which versions of
Apache/mod_perl, and have it write any .xs code or other Perl code
necessary as well as provide the framework for testing with
Apache::Test (and it is this idea of providing the framework that
made me think to bring this to this list).

Writing the same Perl code for two generations of mod_perl probably
would require Apache::compat somewhere in there, and detailed
discussion of this part of the puzzle probably belongs on the
mod_perl users or dev list, which is where I'll take it when I get
something put together in this area.

>> I'd also like to see if it's possible to add support for building
>> mod_perl 1.x and mod_perl 2.x modules from the same distribution --
>> basically put Stas's code into this somewhere.
>
>Which code you are referring to?

This is what I think you've referred to before when someone wants to
know how to make a distro that can build for either mod_perl 1.x or
2.x.  Apache::Peek- http://mathforum.org/epigone/modperl/whoachanskimp

I'd like to not have to maintain five different versions of a module
:/ I'd like to put the magic somewhere else if I can.
--
James Smith <JGSmith@TAMU.Edu>, 979-862-3725
Texas A&M CIS Operating Systems Group, Unix