httpd-test-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Brown <jer...@guero.com>
Subject flood - Can it go faster?
Date Tue, 24 Jun 2003 19:35:49 GMT

Hi,

I have been playing with flood for a while. And have been looking at
writing up some additional documentation. I tried a couple other programs
and flood seems to have worked the best overall. But just got a nice
little project drop in my lap and had a couple questions.

I need to generate about approx. 7000 web hits per second against a new
server. The new server will have a gigabit ethernet to accept the
traffic. And I have 10 load generators running FreeBSD 5.1 with 1 GHZ
processors with normal 100 MB ethernet against the new server on the
same switch. I was able to get one load generator to do about 700 request
per second but I wanted to increase this.

Are there any tips to get more throughput on flood?

Or any methods to optimize flood to run faster?

Also is there a way to turn off logging completely? The new server will
have logging enable to catch all the information. My job is to hit it as
hard as I possibly can with my resources. And to only show something if
there is a failure?

I am using shell scripts of flood since megaconglomerate is not operating
at this time from what I have tested. Are there any recommendations for
doing this more effectively? Or is megaconglomerate really working?

thanks for any comments.
jeremy

ps Here is the config file for flood that I have been using.

<flood>
  <urllist>
    <name>Test Hosts</name>
    <description>A bunch of hosts we want to hit</description>
    <url>http://10.5.10.199</url>
    <url>http://10.5.10.199</url>
    <url>http://10.5.10.199</url>
    <url>http://10.5.10.199</url>
  </urllist>

  <profile>
    <name>RoundRobinProfile</name>
    <description>To Run FastA</description>
    <useurllist>Test Hosts</useurllist>
    <profiletype>round_robin</profiletype>

    <socket>generic</socket>

    <verify_resp>verify_200</verify_resp>
    <report>simple</report>
  </profile>

  <farmer>
    <name>Joe</name>
         <time>180</time>
    <useprofile>RoundRobinProfile</useprofile>
  </farmer>

  <farm>
    <name>Bingo</name>
    <usefarmer count="10">Joe</usefarmer>