httpd-test-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: resolving Apache::Test vs. Apache::test collision
Date Wed, 14 May 2003 03:08:46 GMT
David Wheeler wrote:
> On Thursday, May 8, 2003, at 05:44  PM, Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>> 1) Integrate test.pm in Test.pm. I think we should bundle Apache::Test
>> with future versions of mod_perl to make the maintenance simple and
>> remove the original Apache::test from it.
>>
>> 2) Rename Apache::Test to Apache::Tester (or else) to resolve the
>> collision.
>> Rename the distro Apache-Test to Apache-TestHarness (or else) to avoid
>> confusion.
>>
>> Looks like if we can provide a clean implementation of (1) that's
>> would be the best solution. Randy says that it shouldn't be a problem
>> with winFU. If David says that it's cool with MacOSX, let's try to
>> take this route then.
>

> It's much more likely that someone would install 1.27 over an
> Apache::Test installation on Mac OS X than it is on Win32, apparently.
> But if you were to release 1.28 with the new integrated Apache::Test, it
> probably wouldn't be too much of a problem. You might want to post a
> quick query to macosx@perl.org to get a general feel from the Mac OS X
> Perl community.

If an old mod_perl 1.0 is installed and it overrides Apache::Test, Makefile.PL
will simply fail to satisfy the requirement of a specific version (because
Apache::test's version is smaller than Apache::Test's).

However taking again this track of overriding test.pm, we may still have a
problem in the following situation:

root installs mod_perl 1.27 system-wide, user installs Apache::Test locally
(can't unlink Apache/test.pm), this can be a problem if user's @INC are added
after the system-wide ones. But that would be silly, isn't it?

If we are sticking with this track, we need to figure out the way to make sure
that Apache/test.pm is nuked. David, if Apache-Test includes Apache/test.pm
and Apache/Test.pm is it ensured that any other occurance of Apache/test.pm
will be nuked?