httpd-test-dev mailing list archives

From Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>
Subject Re: resolving Apache::Test vs. Apache::test collision
Date Fri, 09 May 2003 14:01:54 GMT

> So currently we are down to two options:
>
> 1) Integrate test.pm in Test.pm. I think we should bundle Apache::Test
> with future versions of mod_perl to make the maintenance simple and
> remove the original Apache::test from it.

if you mean future versions of mp1, that's a good idea.  that's probably
reason enough to release 1.28 when we get this all sorted out.

> 2) Rename Apache::Test to Apache::Tester (or else) to resolve the
> collision.
> Rename the distro Apache-Test to Apache-TestHarness (or else) to avoid
> confusion.

actually, I hadn't thought about it much, so I didn't realize that we could
keep Apache-Test as the distribution name while changing the offending file
(*duh*).

sticking with Apache-Test as the distribution gets my vote.  I don't think
it's too confusing - other major distributions use packages that differ from
the distribution name (libwww-perl, perl-ldap, Filter, etc).

now I care much less about the name of the package that actually supplies
the base functions - Apache::Tester is fine with me. Apache::TestPlan also
sorta makes sense, since then

use Apache::TestPlan;
use Apache::TestRequest;

mirror what's really happening - one package is required for planning (and
other housekeeping functions) and one is required for issuing the requests.

I dunno, I'm terrible with names anyway, so I'll shut up now and just wait
for the results :)

--Geoff