httpd-test-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: resolving Apache::Test vs. Apache::test collision
Date Fri, 09 May 2003 00:35:17 GMT
Geoffrey Young wrote:

>> So it seems to me that the simplest route to take is to
>> s/Apache::Test/Apache::Tester/ as suggested by David. Only one file is
>> modified.
>>
>> If there are no objections, I'll proceed with this route.
>

> not to be nitpicky, but Apache::Tester strikes me as, well, something.
>
> this is a really cool piece of software that has the potential to make
> many, many developer's lives easier - having a descriptive, decent name
> is probably important. (though getting everyone to agree may be
> difficult ;)
>
> how about Apache::TestHarness or Apache::TestSuite or something similar?

We already have the Apache::TestHarness module. But I see no problem moving
the $VERSION control into that module and release it as Apache-TestHarness,
and rename the Apache::Test module to a different name.

> speaking of which, despite CPAN's general dislike of multi-level naming
> schemes, would Apache::Test::Harness make life easier?  technically, we
> could keep everything other than Test.pm as is, avoid namespace
> collisions, and still refer to the whole thing (colloquially) as
> Apache::Test.  ok, well it's just an idea...

That won't work well, because if the distro is named Apache-Test, people will
try to install Apache::Test via CPAN. or search for it in search.cpan.org.

Also I don't get what good the multi-level naming will do to the resolving
this problem.