httpd-test-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Greg Ames <grega...@apache.org>
Subject Re: gettimeofday calls
Date Fri, 24 Jan 2003 19:14:22 GMT
MATHIHALLI,MADHUSUDAN (HP-Cupertino,ex1) wrote:

>   I was referring to the time(), and thinking of
> alternative ways of replacing the time() call.

> I did that (without using the macros) - but didn't see much difference
> though.. I think I was banging my head against the wall yesterday - by tring
> to remove something, but introducing something else complex :(.. 

cool, thanks.  Not sure why it didn't work, but whatever.

> Infact, I tried this out yesterday (having the one global_time variable), it
> gives me around 3-4% improvement. But, occasionally I do get some
> un-conforming results, and I'm trying to figure out if it's because of the
> time stamp.

OK, I'm thinking of a compromise here...

1.  Let's get your version working right, i.e., no complaints from the client
2.  then let's see if we can move the init of global_time out of 
specweb99_quick_handler() to do_cadget() so we don't have any time overhead for 
the other types of requests that don't need it
3.  then let's see if we can set global_time by feeding r->request_time thru a 
macro, rather than using a syscall

So do you want to post a patch for your version with the global_time?  I'll be 
happy to take a look at it and see if I can help figure out why the client is 
complaining.

> 2. mmap the post.log, and since the post.log is requested only once, it can
> be closed & re-mapped when the request comes in.

That might work.  I'm thinking that moving it to shared memory would be the 
ultimate cheap way to do it though.

Greg

p.s. something you might want to try is to change the workload mix parameters 
(DYNAMIC_CONTENT, DYNAMIC_POST, etc) in the rc file so that you get 100% static 
requests, 100% POSTs, 100% CAD GETs, or 100% standard dynamic GETs.  The last 
time I did that, the CAD GETs were the slowest of all and std dynamic GETs were 
faster than static files, believe it or not.  But then I got rid of a couple of 
strlen's in the CAD path, so I don't know which part of the workload is the 
slowest at the moment (other than CGI, and they are always going to suck).


Mime
View raw message