httpd-test-dev mailing list archives

From Bill Stoddard <b...@wstoddard.com>
Subject Re: gettimeofday calls
Date Fri, 24 Jan 2003 17:21:41 GMT

>Infact, I tried this out yesterday (having the one global_time variable), it
>gives me around 3-4% improvement. But, occasionally I do get some
>un-conforming results, and I'm trying to figure out if it's because of the
>time stamp.

You probably need to mutex updates to your global variable, which will
probably suck out most of your performance gains.

>Anyways, moving away from the time(), here's what I've been thinking..I'm
>sure many of you have gone through this list, so, can you please give me
>your feedback regarding the following :
>
>1. Why we need to do the apr_stat() for static files each time the request
>comes in - can it be done during the module_init() phase, and the values put
>in a array of some sort. ?.

Files change. Why not use mod_file_cache? It will (or should if it does
not have a bug) eliminate the stat.  Or we could  spend time rewriting
code to just do an open (followed by a less expensive fstat) rather than
a stat/open.

Bill