httpd-test-dev mailing list archives

From dav...@dedasys.com (David N. Welton)
Subject Re: library-ization
Date Thu, 17 Oct 2002 16:54:47 GMT
Jacek Prucia <jacek.prucia@7bulls.com> writes:

> On Sun, Oct 13, 2002 at 09:21:23AM -0700, David N. Welton wrote:
> [...]

> > And I would like an HTTP tester library.  I think that if done in
> > this way, it would be versatile enough to replace ab, and it would
> > also give people the freedom to experiment with other front ends.
> > Like someting in Tk, gtk, or whatever...

> I was also thinking about HTTP test library (on top of a HTTP client
> library, like apr-serf) long before I joined this project. However,
> such a library would probably be just like an application (reading
> config files and so). If you decide to put only essential stuff in
> such lib, then apps would need to reimplement many things on their
> own.

> That little command tool we develop here is very suited for GUI
> integration.  We don't have command line options/switches, there's
> no i18n (which is a pain for GUI wrappers) and so on. You just feed
> flood with XML data (snip from my personal TODO list: write flood
> DTD), and receive results on stdout (snip from my personal TODO
> list: make flood output XML'ized). I must say, that i like this
> approach much more, than separate library.

It's definitely flexible, but could probably be more so.  You would
have the ability to tightly integrate the 'feeder' and the result
processor with it, for instance.  With this approach, I bet it would
be possible, with different frontends to both replace ab, a small,
minimalistic tool, as well as make something big and complicated with
a GUI.

> OTOH you might be righ. Please post an simplified, pseudocode API of
> such HTTP test library. We can talk about it a bit more to see if
> such thing makes sense.

Well, this is where the problem is.  I think my idea is sensible, but
I just don't have the time, at the moment (thought I could work on it
some at work, but it turns out not to be the case), so I guess we can
just drop this for now:-( Thankyou for discussing it any case.

Maybe it could be something as simple as passing in the handle to an
in-memory tree?  From what I saw, XML is pretty tightly bound, so
maybe changing things would be quite difficult.

--
David N. Welton
   Consulting: http://www.dedasys.com/