httpd-test-dev mailing list archives

From Jacek Prucia <jacek.pru...@7bulls.com>
Subject Re: Connection speed throttle
Date Mon, 30 Sep 2002 18:45:26 GMT
wiadomosc od Aaron Bannert, z dnia Sun, Sep 29, 2002 at 10:43:36AM -0700
[...]
> I'm not so sure we could even implement something like this at
> such a high level.

I wasn't really talking about BSD dummynet. I was thinking about very simple rate limiting.
We could write to socket precise amount of bytes every second (or another period of time),
which could give us a poor man's rate limit. This wouldn't be anything special (no random
packet drops, constant latency and stuff like that), but at least it would allow people to
get the idea 'how things will be for all those modem people out there'.

> OTOH, aside from cost considerations, a standalone
> BSD box running dummynet inbetween one or more clients and one or
> more servers would be very effective.

Yeah, dummynet is a cool thing, and you can have similar effect with other OS'es (like Linux).
However setting things up is a bit troublesome. Among many things dummynet requires root privileges
which sometimes aren't available.

But yes, I think that even when we implement such basic rate limit, we could give pointers
to tools which are very usefull in conjunction with flood.

regards,
--
Jacek Prucia
7bulls.com S.A.