httpd-test-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Ames <grega...@apache.org>
Subject Re: mod_specweb99 debugging...
Date Mon, 19 Aug 2002 17:20:09 GMT
Ian Holsman wrote:

> Thanks...
> what I was after was more hints on configuring HTTP.
> ie.. make sure FollowSymLinks is On & AllowOverride off
> (to avoid unnessecary fileops) and things like this

Oh, OK, then http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/misc/perf-tuning.html would be
relevant.

I set up my specweb99 DocumentRoot subtree to be as flat as possible, thinking
that would cut down on cycles spent walking the directory paths.  I can't say
for certain that it makes a significant difference on Linux; the kernel has an
efficient filepath cache.

Another area for potential improvement here is the use of file caching.  I tried
using mod_cache's fd caching, but quickly ran into problems with the Linux
per-process fd limits because SPECWeb99 accesses so many different files.  It's
possible that caching the file contents in memory might allow more files to be
cached.  But any attempt to cache files in userland will tend to negate the
kernel's file caching, which is pretty efficient on Linux.

The choice of MPMs makes a difference too.  I get better results with prefork on
Linux, with worker not too far behind.  With a good userland file caching
strategy, worker might do better if it has a higher cache hit ratio and lower
overall RAM usage.

Greg