httpd-test-dev mailing list archives

From Tatsuhiko Miyagawa <miyag...@edge.co.jp>
Subject Re: use Apache::Test on Web Application Testing
Date Sat, 09 Mar 2002 11:10:27 GMT
At Sat, 09 Mar 2002 13:16:28 +0800,
Stas Bekman wrote:

> > Well, (at least now) as for my web application testing, I don't
> > like to use Apache::Test(Util|Request)? Because:
> >
> > 1) I love to do testing with Test::More's utility functions. I'd
> > just get accustomed to it.
>
> Apache::Test's motto is to be self-contained and Test::More is not a
> part of the perl core. Therefore if you need any of Test::More
> functionalities we can add these to Apache::TestUtil. Either tell us
> what you want ported or send a patch :)

That's the exact point where we don't agree with each other, IMO. I
like to make combination of "Simple" modules, and don't like "All in
One" package. (Well, Test::More is going into core from perl-5.7, and
even before 5.6 it's very easy to install)

In addition, tests we write are not only limited in httpd one. For
example, we should write unit tests for business logic classes with
Test::More. Writing tests with various tools will go into just a
little confusion. We want consistency in them, for the cost of
learning, etc.

> >   # import() does harm, thus "require"
> >   require Apache::TestRequest;
> >   sub url_for { goto &Apache::TestRequest::resolve_url }

These lines are the things what I need from httpd-test
framework. Without this, I should get Ports etc from environment
variable or something like that. So, thanks for it ;)

> so you have no need to work directly with LWP.

Yes. But for dynamically generated cookies or web forms, HTTP::Cookies
or HTML::Forms greatly helps. So I use these modules directly.

Though supporting these API with Apache::TestUtils may not be hard
one, but again, I like to make combination of simple modules.

Well, recently there's WWW::Automate module on CPAN, which has a very
close idea to my testing code. I should consider using this instead.

TMTOWTDI :)

--
Tatsuhiko Miyagawa