httpd-test-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: use Apache::Test on Web Application Testing
Date Sat, 09 Mar 2002 05:16:28 GMT
Tatsuhiko Miyagawa wrote:
> I've started looking closely into Apache::Test perl-framework,
> inspired by Geoffrey's brief introduction for its sample usage in
> Apache::Clean.

Sorry Tatsuhiko, this email seemed to fall between chairs :(

> Well, Apache::Test looks really cool, providing me sophisticated
> and robust way to test Apache based applications.
>
> Without it I've been doing it with a little dirty shell-script
> (kill httpd, generate httpd.conf file and start up via
> non-privileged port, then dump mysql database and restore testing
> datas into it, etc.)
>
> It'll reduce my work on it. Great.

cool!

modperl-2.0/docs/devel/testing/testing.pod provides an extensive
documentation for Apache::Test. It should answer most of the questions.
It's definitely incomplete. So if you see something missing please let
us know.

> Well, (at least now) as for my web application testing, I don't
> like to use Apache::Test(Util|Request)? Because:
>
> 1) I love to do testing with Test::More's utility functions. I'd
> just get accustomed to it.

Apache::Test's motto is to be self-contained and Test::More is not a
part of the perl core. Therefore if you need any of Test::More
functionalities we can add these to Apache::TestUtil. Either tell us
what you want ported or send a patch :)

> 2) shortcut like GET_BODY seems handy, but in many times we need
> more complicated testing for web applications (like HTTPUnit in
> Java), which we've done by directly using LWP::UserAgent,
> HTTP::Request::Common, HTML::LinkExtor etc.
>

> So current test code of mine seems like this:
>
>   use strict;
>   use Test::More 'no_plan';
>   use LWP::UserAgent;
>   use HTTP::Cookies;
>   use HTTP::Request::Common;
>   use HTML::Form;
>
>   # import() does harm, thus "require"
>   require Apache::TestRequest;
>   sub url_for { goto &Apache::TestRequest::resolve_url }
>
>   # set up my own user-agent
>   my $ua = LWP::UserAgent->new;
>   $ua->cookie_jar(HTTP::Cookies->new);
>
>   my $req = GET url_for '/index.pl';
>   my $res = $ua->request($req);
>   like $res->content, qr/welcome/;
>
>   # parse forms in html, fill in form and submit
>   my $form = HTML::Form->parse($res->content, $req->url);
>   $form->value(name => 'foo');
>   my $req2 = $form->click;
>   # ...
>
> At least I'm happy with it ;). But if you have any suggestions for
> it. I'd appreciate it.

from testing.pod:

=head2 Multiple User Agents

By default the C<Apache::Test> framework uses a single user agent
which talks to the server (this is the C<LWP> user agent, if you have
C<LWP> installed). You almost never use this agent directly in the
tests, but via various wrappers. However if you need a second user
agent you can clone these. For example:

   my $ua2 = Apache::TestRequest::user_agent()->clone;

As for cookies, I've started adding the test suite for Apache::Request
so here is cookie.t:

use Apache::Test;

use Apache::TestUtil;
use Apache::TestRequest qw(GET_BODY);
use HTTP::Cookies;

plan tests => 1;

my $location = "/TestApReq::cookie";

{
     # basic param() test
     my $test  = 'basic';
     my $key   = 'apache';
     my $value = 'ok';
     my $cookie = qq{\$Version="1"; $key="$value"; \$Path="$location"};
     ok t_cmp(qq{"$value"},
              GET_BODY("$location?test=$test&key=$key", Cookie => $cookie),
              $test);
}

so you have no need to work directly with LWP.
Hope this helps ;)