httpd-test-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: perl-framework server startup
Date Mon, 21 Jan 2002 18:14:56 GMT
Stas Bekman wrote:

> I've played with the returned status, so here is what I saw.
>
> If you want to tell shell that the program has failed, you must
> return a status with at least one bit in the 0x01-0xff range set.

Yar, looking at 'man bash' and empirical results, it looks as
though the exit value of a command is always ANDed with 0xff.
And (for bash at least) an unhandled signal exit will result in
an exit code of (0x80 + signum).  For Linux, the maximum
signal number is 63, so exit values in the range of 0x81-0xbf
are reserved for signals.

So why don't we use an exit value of 200 to indicate a harness
failure, and anything else comes from the tests themselves?
This should also keep us clear of any untrapped die() calls,
if I'm understanding the mechanism correctly.
--
#ken	P-)}

"Millenium hand and shrimp!"