httpd-test-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: multiple configurations
Date Mon, 14 Jan 2002 03:24:41 GMT
Rick Myers wrote:

> This may sound silly, but is there an *easy* way to test
> multiple server config's?
>
> For example, I have a perl module that defines a new
> RSRC_CONF directive that I want to test in every possible
> way. To do that I need one server with no use of the module
> (to validate the test, I guess), one server that uses the
> directive in only the global area, and others for various
> combinations of global vs. virtual use.
>
> The only way I can see to make this happen is to write
> various extra .conf.in's and remove includes from the
> httpd.conf file as each test runs. To make it work I have to
> HUP the server after editing httpd.conf in each test, but
> while using -X the server just dies.
>
> I managed to figure out a way around -X and keep the server
> alive beyond the HUP, but it's a real pain. The end result
> is overloading Apache::Test::config,
> Apache::TestConfig::new_test_server, and
> Apache::TestRunPerl::new_test_config -- all just to get back
> to the point where I can finally overload
> Apache::TestServer::start_cmd and leave out the $one.
>
> Thoughts?

I think you can do it using a set of a several .pm response handlers.
Since the __DATA__ section is used to configure the server for the
handler in the same file, you could write a single handler and then
create a number of .pm files each having a different config section in
its __DATA__ section as a virtual host, so they can all co-exist in the
without restarting the server.

Another alternative I can think of is writing one big .conf.in file with
<IfDefine> sections and allow t/TEST to have path-thru options to enable
-D flags, so without changing the configuration you could run:

t/TEST -Done; t/TEST -Dtwo; t/TEST -Dthree;