httpd-test-dev mailing list archives

From Doug MacEachern <do...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: [patch] autogeneration of TEST/SMOKE/REPORT
Date Fri, 21 Dec 2001 22:38:29 GMT
On Fri, 21 Dec 2001, Stas Bekman wrote:

> This patch removes the need for t/TEST.PL, t/SMOKE.PL, build/bugreport.pl
> and implements in each set of the classes used by these scripts a
> generate_script() method, which generates these scripts.

nice.

> Issues:
> - should it generate t/REPORT or just as before build/bug_report.pl?

t/REPORT

> - If you look at ModPerl-Registry/t/TEST.PL, it cannot reuse
> autogeneration, since it adds some more stuff

that's ok.

> - If you try to generate t/SMOKE for ModPerl-Registry it'll need a
> different 'use lib' adjustments.

you could pass a \@libs arg to the generate methods that are added to the
'use lib ...'

> So it's not than much re-usable after all. Are you sure that we really
> want this to be done in the way this patch does and not just to stick with
> .PL scripts? I really prefer a the .PL scripts because of their easy
> customizability.

i mainly wanted to see the bugreport stuff be re-usable in a module,
rather than having to copy a .pl script around to each project.  having
the methods to generate t/{TEST,SMOKE,REPORT} are just a bonus.  if a
project needs to customize more, then they just don't use the generation
methods.