httpd-test-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: a new utility: failure tests sequence finder
Date Fri, 07 Dec 2001 17:02:30 GMT
Currently I use a random size windowing algorithm to try to reduce the
number of tests that cause the problem to a minimum, but I realize that
it may not work in some cases since it's random. I need your help with
coming up with a few algorithms to apply to the long sequence of tests
to effectively and fast reduce it to a minimum.

After the first run, it's possible that the sequence will include 500
tests. Currently I the algorithm that picks a slice from this sequence
using random edges. From preliminary testing in some cases it reduces
500 tests to 2 in just a few runs, but in some cases it just cannot
reduce at all. It's random after all.

I was thinking to try first something like binary search, but chances
that it'll work are not big since it's possible that there are two tests
causing to the failure of the third and they can be located in different
halves of the sequence. I guess I should try it anyway.

I was think about the password cracker that applies a set of different
algoritms for each path, and I was thinking to take the same route, to
improve the efficiency of this utility (after all tests are running very
slow). But I'm not sure which other algorithms I could try.

So if you have any insights please let me know. Thanks a lot!