httpd-test-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: perl-framework: mod_dav but not mod_dav?
Date Tue, 04 Dec 2001 11:44:09 GMT
Stas Bekman wrote:

> Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
>
> > BTW, this caused t/TEST to keep trying to start the server
> > for a minute.  Maybe an 'httpd -t' should be done first
> > and bail immediately on failure?  It would short-circuit the
> > minute of waiting when we can *tell* it's not going to
> > start..
>
> you cannot test with -t, e.g. if I say:
>
> PerlModule DoesntExist
>
> it'll say:
>
> % /home/stas/httpd/prefork/bin/httpd -t -d
> /home/stas/apache.org/modperl-2.0/t -f
> /home/stas/apache.org/modperl-2.0/t/conf/httpd.conf -DAPACHE2
> -DPERL_USEITHREADS
> Syntax OK

But 'PerlModule DoesntExist' isn't a *syntax* failure.
It's a dependency failure detected at runtime.  So -t
won't catch everything, no -- but it *will* catch some.

> tell me how can we programmatically learn that the start-up
> has failed, without waiting for the pid file to appear

For run-time dependency failures such as you cite above, there
isn't any way (currently).  However, if there's a startup
failure we *can* detect, why not do so?
--
#ken	P-)}