httpd-test-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: perl-framework: mod_dav but not mod_dav?
Date Tue, 04 Dec 2001 04:27:38 GMT
Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

>>Syntax error on line 302 of ...extra.conf:
>>Invalid command 'DAVLockDB', perhaps mis-spelled..
>>

> BTW, this caused t/TEST to keep trying to start the server
> for a minute.  Maybe an 'httpd -t' should be done first
> and bail immediately on failure?  It would short-circuit the
> minute of waiting when we can *tell* it's not going to
> start..

you cannot test with -t, e.g. if I say:

PerlModule DoesntExist

it'll say:

% /home/stas/httpd/prefork/bin/httpd -t -d
/home/stas/apache.org/modperl-2.0/t -f
/home/stas/apache.org/modperl-2.0/t/conf/httpd.conf -DAPACHE2
-DPERL_USEITHREADS
Syntax OK

tell me how can we programmatically learn that the start-up has failed,
without waiting for the pid file to appear and we will fix that. e.g.
could httpd create some status file, where it says the last thing it was
doing? e.g. starting, restarting, dying (config error), dying
(segfault), stopping. This file could be used by various watchdogs,
which currently can only tell whether the server is working or not.
With this new status file, they can tell much more about the server
status. e.g. I have a watchdog that will attempt to restart the server,
since it cannot ping the server, but it causes a double restart if I've
manually restarted the server and the ping test has happened before the
server went up. It will also falsely send alert email saying that the
server was down :(

Currently I always keep the error_log file open in another console via
tail -f and watch the output.

We could try to parse this file to look for errors reports [error], but
this is not easy, since your error_log file could accummulate a lot of
restarts with various errors, so I don't think this will really work.