httpd-test-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: [patch] hint why the test was skipped
Date Fri, 19 Oct 2001 01:18:25 GMT
Doug MacEachern wrote:

>>People already start complaining because they don't know why this or
>>that test gets skipped, but they are techy enough to look at the code to
>>figure out. Once we release Apache-Test, many people won't know to
>>figure out why some tests are skipped. Therefore I've tried to solve
>>this, so if I require have_module Chatbot::Eliza1 I get:
>>

> i like the idea of hinting why a test is skipped.  only thing is
> "Missing foo" might not be very informative, for example the tests that
> run against c-modules.  none of the c-modules will be "missing", but they
> might not be built because:
>
> - apxs is not available
> - the module requires 2.0
> - etc
>
> "missing mod_echo_post" won't be very helpful in that case.
>
> then there are tests that are skipped unless 'have_apache 2.0',
> 'have_perl "ithreads"', etc.
>
> maybe just extend your patch so a .t can define:
> $Apache::Test::SkipReason = 'requires apxs and apache-2.0';
>
> and the skip code does this:
>             my $real_reason = $Apache::Test::SkipReason || $reason;
>             print "1..0 # skipped: $real_reason \n";
>
> since each .t has its own process, there won't be a clash using the
> $Apache::TestSkip::Reason variable.

That's not very clean. You don't do the test for prerequisites in .t,
you only specify the prerequisites in the test and delegate the test to
Apache::Test::plan(). So if .t specifies 3 things as prerequisites and
only one is satisfied you don't want to report all three as a reason for
skip, but only the one that's is not satisfied. Therefore you don't know
what to set in $Apache::Test::SkipReason in non-simple cases.

Which means that we either should move the actual prerequisites testing
contol into .t's, then you can let .t to see what's not satisfied and
set $Apache::Test::SkipReason. Or we should fix all the have_ functions
to follow my example patch, to return {$meet_condition => $reason}. In
the later case each have_ function can say properly the reason for a
skip, not just missing.