httpd-test-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@ebuilt.com>
Subject Re: Pools, possible replacement, WAS: RE: [Fwd: brianp patch Quantify results]
Date Mon, 27 Aug 2001 04:16:31 GMT
On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 10:36:11PM -0700, Ian Holsman wrote:
> BTW can flood simulate a steady # of requests being attempted per
> second?  or does it just fire up N threads/processes and whack away.
> ( check out http://www.cs.rice.edu/CS/Systems/Web-measurement/ for more
> info)

Yeah, I read that paper last night and I believe flood can simulate
the S-Client under the following syntax:

<usefarmer count="10000" startdelay="1" startcount="2">Joe</usefarmer>

Flood will start two threads every second until there are 10000 active.
I suppose we could make it open-ended, but that complicates things.
We could also make the resolution of the XML more precise (i.e. .5
seconds), but Aaron and I disagreed on how to do this.  =)

In order to do the S-Client as described, you must have two processes
with a domain socket and use event-based socket operations.  I don't
feel that is very portable or scalable.  However, their idea of
continuing to ramp up the requests regardless of the server's response
time does make sense.  -- justin