httpd-packagers mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: RPM packaging for httpd v2.0.53
Date Wed, 19 Jan 2005 00:00:43 GMT
Paul Querna wrote:

> | Idea is to get the ASF released RPM to be as close to the ASF released
> | httpd as possible. The ASF RPM should not try and do anything radically
> | different from the ASF ./configure;make;make install.
>
> I wasn't aware that the goal was to make RPMs available from the ASF.  I
> thought the .spec file was purely to help packagers for the various
> distros.

The way I see it is that the in tree packaging files (currently RPM and
Solaris PKG) "lead by example". That means they stick as close to the
ASF structure as is practical, in an effort to convince other package
maintainers to (hopefully) do the same.

The end goal is to try and minimise the number of different distro
configs into something a bit more standard, so that end users aren't
constantly surprised every time they encounter httpd and friends on
different platforms.

Regards,
Graham