httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From Molina <jose.mol...@cern.ch>
Subject HTTP/2 in massive file transfers
Date Tue, 08 Mar 2016 11:33:12 GMT
Hello,

I’m testing the HTTP/2 performance to add support to the software I’m working for. My
benchmark consist on an apache 2.4.17 server with the following http2-related configuration:

LoadModule http2_module modules/mod_http2.so
<IfModule http2_module>
  Protocols h2c http/1.1
  H2WindowSize 1460000000
  H2StreamMaxMemSize 1460000000
  H2MinWorkers 8
  H2Direct on
  LogLevel http2:info
  H2MaxSessionStreams 100
  H2SessionExtraFiles 1000
  H2MaxWorkers 100
</IfModule>

The rest is simply the default apache configuration.
My client is a C application that downloads 1024 files of exactly 1MiB each, so totally 1GB.
When performing the test with normal HTTP/1.1 the download speed is around 20MiB/s, while
when using HTTP/2 is 1.5MiB/s. The client uses exactly one  multiplexed connection and works
as expected
Lastly, the client and server are located in center Europe and center USA respectively to
increase the impact of opening many HTTP/1.1 connections with such a high physical distance
due to latency.

I tried to increase the Linux window size, as well as the TCP buffer to increase the download
speed, but without success so far.

Is there some configuration parameter I’m missing to make it perform better? Or perhaps
the module itself needs an special configuration for such a use case?

Thanks a lot in advance. Best regards,
José Molina