httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From Sorin Manolache <sor...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Tracking sent responses
Date Fri, 06 Nov 2015 14:28:43 GMT
On 2015-11-06 15:12, Julien FROMENT wrote:
> Hello,
>

> We would like to use Apache HTTP Server to keep track of exactly what
> part of the response was sent over a socket. Apache could call an API
> asynchronously with the number of bytes sent over the socket for a given
> request.
>

> Here is the pseudo code:
>
>    -- Client send a request
>
>    -- Apache processes the request and send it to the backend server

>    -- The backend server returns the response
>
>    -- Apache sends the response to the client
>
>    -- Apache calls Async API with the number of bytes sent

Relaying the client request to a backend server may be realised with the
ProxyPass and RewriteRule directives.

Apache may log the number of bytes sent. See
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/mod/mod_log_config.html#formats,
the %B and %O flags.

The log can be configured to be

1. appended to a file
2. sent to syslog (which in turn may forward it over udp/tcp to a log-host)
3. piped to an external program

The first two options do not require any development from your part. If
you really need that the number of bytes is sent to an http server, then
you could write an external program that reads one line at a time from
standard input and sends the line that it read to an http server.

Regards,
Sorin