httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From Jacob Champion <champio...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: mod_websocket ownership (and fixes)
Date Fri, 11 Sep 2015 22:49:12 GMT
Hi Alex,

On 09/11/2015 10:02 AM, Alex Bligh wrote:
> mod_proxy_wstunnel forwards the websocket connection without
> interpreting the protocol (i.e. needs to be directed at a websocket
> server); my module (which just plugs into mod_websocket) forwards it
> as a TCP port. EG for VNC over Websockets you'd just need to point my
> module at port 5900, whereas with mod_websocket you'd need something
> further to decode it.

Oh, neat! I assume there are specific protocol designs that can't be
proxied over WebSocket? (For example, anything that requires the
application-level use of a TCP half-close would presumably be iffy?)
What are the sorts of protocols that work best with this setup?

At this point I want to avoid biting off more than I can chew -- I want
to get the current code in order before absorbing more functionality  --
but this is a really neat idea. I'll need to think about security corner
cases with a generic TCP proxy setup too... more research needed.

>> Hopefully that makes sense -- any specific parts that still need
>> clarification?
>
> Thanks. Yes that makes sense I think. I sort of more meant that it
> would be useful in a README or something in the module itself, as I
> had difficulty grasping it when I was writing the vncproxy stuff.

Gotcha. My latest commit adds a few explanatory comments to the two
areas I mentioned; thanks for the feedback!

--Jacob