httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From Yann Ylavic <ylavic....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to wait on a global lock with timeout
Date Tue, 30 Sep 2014 16:16:16 GMT
On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 5:30 PM, Yann Ylavic <ylavic.dev@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have been working on a patch to provide
> apr_[thread/proc]_mutex_timedlock() in APR, but did not finish the
> work mostly because of APR_ENOTIMPL on some mutex mechanisms (mainly
> Windows CRITICAL_SECTIONs which lack the functionality, making the APR
> abstraction quite useless IMO, or at least unix specific). Maybe I'll
> have a new look at it these days if I have the time to.

Hmm, this remark about Windows only concerns thread-mutexes,
proc-mutexes don't use a CRITICAL_SECTION but a HANDLE (which is then
usable with WaitForSingleObject() that accepts a timeout).

I think I'll give my patch a new chance, at least for proc-mutexes
(and hence global-mutexes), but this is not a today's solution in any
case since I would be at best an APR-1.6 feature (if accepted)...