httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From Sorin Manolache <sor...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: apr_hash_t and global scope
Date Wed, 11 Dec 2013 23:27:03 GMT
On 2013-12-11 19:17, Ingo Walz wrote:
> Hello modules-dev!
>
> I've encountered a problem with an apr_hash_t in the global scope of my
> module.
> Let me explain the use-case a bit.
>
> Every time, when an asset (image e.g.) is delivered via apache, it
> stores meta information of that file with a simple key/value pair in an
> apr_hash_t. That variable is part of the global scope of my module and
> allocated in register_hooks section (with the pool available here). If
> HTML is delivered that references an asset with meta information
> available, it rewrites the HTML based on the data from apr_hash_t.
>
> My problem is: using -X (only one worker) everything is fine and the
> module works as expected. But starting httpd with more than one worker,
> I sometime have no data on my apr_hash_t, which is expected to be there.
> I've tried various things, e.g. using server->process->pool and
> child_init to allocate the data, but the issue remains the same. I'm
> also using no global/thread_mutex, because I'm never reading and writing
> in the same thread (but in theory in the same process) - but I've no
> idea yet how hash_set is doing it internally, so this might be still a
> todo (is it? Do I really need a global mutex for data across
> worker/threads? Can I avoid it?). Using memcache is an option in theory,
> but I'd love to avoid it too. Otherwise my module scales much different,
> based on the delivered HTML. But anyways, it's most likely an issue with
> the "wrong pool" or with a misunderstanding of the scope and the cleanup
> of those pools.

I'm making the assumption that you're using Unix and not Windows.

I don't think it is related to pools or their cleanup. It is rather
because of how Unix processes work. The request that updates your hash
is served by a thread in one apache child and the request that reads
from your hash may be served by a thread in another apache child. The
problem is that each apache child has its own copy of the hash.

> What's the best way to use a "everywhere shared apr_hash_t"? Do I need
> apr_shm to work properly with the workers (or apr_rmm in my use case)
> together with a global_mutex or should I try to dig into socache and
> avoid doing this handling manually? Many outdated resources around the
> web (and even different internal implementations for the same use-case)
> made me feel a bit ... doubtful to come to a final decision. Maybe you
> can help me here?! :-)

My advice would be to avoid doing it manually.

Regards,
Sorin