httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From "Jonathan T. Leighton" <jtlei...@udel.edu>
Subject Re: Can a module control the socket transport protocol? - revisited
Date Fri, 08 Nov 2013 01:17:00 GMT
I think the answer to my question is sort of, but not really. It appears
that httpd can support alternate network transport protocols within
strict limits. The MPMs (at least prefork, worker, and event), all call
ap_setup_listeners() to set various socket options, bind(), and listen()
on all the sockets in the global variable ap_listeners, before setting
up polling. If you want to use something other than TCP, and if you're
content to, and able to, have your sockets use the same socket option
settings, bind(), and listen() calls that are used for TCP sockets, then
you just need to create a configuration command that creates and adds
your sockets to ap_listeners.

There is an additional concern that the Listen configuration command
naturally assumes it's the only game in town. When it tries to reuse old
listeners, it only checks the address and port - not the transport
protocol. Thus, it could try to reuse a TCP socket that you wanted
changed to another protocol, or vice verse.

This isn't really supporting alternate network transport protocols.

- Jon Leighton