httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From Sorin Manolache <sor...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: thread safety and mpm-prefork
Date Tue, 11 Jun 2013 22:06:16 GMT
On 2013-06-11 23:08, Alex Bligh wrote:
> Sorin,
>
> On 11 Jun 2013, at 21:57, Sorin Manolache wrote:
>
>> The threadallocatormutex is created from a child of the request pool. The request
pool and its child-pools are destroyed when the request terminates. Do you use the threadpool/threadallocator/threadallocatormutex
afterwards?

> Nope. It's one long running request, and at the end of the request handler, the thread
I've created is _join'ed, and the pools are destroyed.

> When I torture test it, I can run 10 hours of fullscreen video through it, and every
5 or 6th such test results in a core dump (inevitably a bucket brigade pointer being unhappy).
We have a customer who seems to be talented at making things go wrong and who does not get
an abort/segv, but a 100% CPU live lock. gdb suggests the destruction of the bucket brigade
goes around and around - again a symptom of bucket brigade linked list pointers being unhappy.

I'm sorry, I ran out of ideas. I suppose that the operations of the two
threads on the bucket brigade are protected by mutexes...