httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From Hoang-Vu Dang <dang....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ap_log_rerror limit size
Date Wed, 13 Mar 2013 15:40:50 GMT
I traced this into the Apache source code (ver 2.4.4). It looks like the
error message string is really limited by the size of 8KB.

This line is in server/log.c:1097

"
static void log_error_core(const char *file, int line, int module_index,
                            int level,
                            apr_status_t status, const server_rec *s,
                            const conn_rec *c,
                            const request_rec *r, apr_pool_t *pool,
                            const char *fmt, va_list args)
{
     char errstr[MAX_STRING_LEN];
"

"
And MAX_STRING_LEN is defined in include/httpd.h:298

/** The default string length */
#define MAX_STRING_LEN HUGE_STRING_LEN

/** The length of a Huge string */
#define HUGE_STRING_LEN 8192
"

I tried to increase this value, recompile, and apparently I got a longer
message.
Please correct me if I am wrong... If this is true then can anyone tell
me why this "HUGE_STRING_LEN" value is a hard-coded value but not a
configurable option ?

Cheers, Vu

On 03/13/2013 11:16 AM, Eric Covener wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 6:01 AM, Hoang Vu Dang <dang.hvu@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> Is there any limit of the size of a message log entry? How to control this ?
>>
>> I did this:
>>
>> ap_log_rerror(APLOG_MARK, APLOG_INFO, 0, f->r,
>>                  "%s", buffer);
>>
>> And the buffer was truncated on the error log. I check the strlen of the buffer and
it was about 320K, and I got only around: ~ 8KB