httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Lewis <...@joe-lewis.com>
Subject Re: "Best practices" or recommendations for logging from a module?
Date Sun, 01 Jul 2012 20:26:12 GMT
On 07/01/2012 01:53 PM, ohaya@cox.net wrote:
> ---- Joe Lewis<joe@joe-lewis.com>  wrote:

at the top level, set to "debug", I don't see those messages.

all level msgs output using ap_log_error?

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I think that I've found out why I'm not seeing those log messages.  Apparently,
if the server parameter is NULL, only APLOG_NOTICE message appear except for during startup.

>>> So, I have use a server for that parameter, e.g. r->server, BUT, in some cases,
e.g., in a function like the response callback for libcurl, where the signature is pre-defined,
and where there is no request_rec or server_rec among the parameters, how can I get ap_log_error
to output anything (other than APLOG_NOTICE) messages?

>>> Thanks,
>>> Jim
>>>

>> Again, if you have access to a request_rec structure, I'd use
>> ap_log_rerror.  Otherwise, use ap_log_perror.  Those have a better
>> consistency with logging, e.g. :
>>
>> ap_log_rerror(APLOG_MARK, APLOG_DEBUG, 0, requestrec, "uri = %s",r->uri);
>> ap_log_perror(APLOG_MARK, APLOG_DEBUG, 0, pool, "creating config");
>>
>> Joe
>>

> Hi,
>
> I think that I'm not explaining the problem that I have very clearly :(...
>
> Per earlier thread, I'm using libcurl to make an HTTP GET request from my module.
>
> In order that my module can access the response to that GET request, I had to use a write
callback function tha allows curl to t make the response available to my code.

That does explain things.  Using libcurl in a situation like that
before, I ended up using the callback function data as a structure, and
you could (in theory) slap the same request_rec pointers into that
structure so that you also had them in the call back.

Aside from that, you are correct, if you don't have access to the
request_rec/pool_t structures, ap_log_error works the best, but
r->server won't work, either.

Are you using virtual hosts?  If so, did you check all of the logs?
using r->server might behave differently and end up logging messages
into a different log file if you have virtual hosts.

Joe