httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Lewis <...@joe-lewis.com>
Subject Re: "Best practices" or recommendations for logging from a module?
Date Sun, 01 Jul 2012 19:33:06 GMT
On 07/01/2012 12:55 PM, ohaya@cox.net wrote:
> ---- ohaya@cox.net wrote:

>>> Joe,
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> Jim
>>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> Oh, oh :(.
>>
>> I'm using:
>>
>> ap_log_error(APLOG_MARK, APLOG_DEBUG, 0, NULL,<my message>);
>>
>> all over the place, and even though I have only one LogLevel in the httpd;conf, at
the top level, set to "debug", I don't see those messages.

>> The only ones I see are the ones that use APLOG_NOTICE.
>>
>> Why is this?  I thought that with LogLevel set to debug, that I should see all level
msgs output using ap_log_error?

>> Thanks,
>> Jim
>>

> Hi,
>
> I think that I've found out why I'm not seeing those log messages.  Apparently, if the
server parameter is NULL, only APLOG_NOTICE message appear except for during startup.

> So, I have use a server for that parameter, e.g. r->server, BUT, in some cases, e.g.,
in a function like the response callback for libcurl, where the signature is pre-defined,
and where there is no request_rec or server_rec among the parameters, how can I get ap_log_error
to output anything (other than APLOG_NOTICE) messages?

> Thanks,
> Jim

Again, if you have access to a request_rec structure, I'd use
ap_log_rerror.  Otherwise, use ap_log_perror.  Those have a better
consistency with logging, e.g. :

ap_log_rerror(APLOG_MARK, APLOG_DEBUG, 0, requestrec, "uri = %s",r->uri);
ap_log_perror(APLOG_MARK, APLOG_DEBUG, 0, pool, "creating config");

Joe