httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Whittington <tim.whitting...@orionhealth.com>
Subject Broken request_rec structures passed to hook methods in Apache 2.0
Date Thu, 05 Jul 2012 03:42:15 GMT
Hi all

I'm trying to track down the cause of a segmentation fault observed using mod_jk in Apache
2.0 on Solaris/Sparc.
>From the core dumps I've narrowed the initial crashes down to a hook function in mod_jk
(for ap_hook_translate_name).
Interestingly returning immediately from this hook (e.g. return DECLINED) causes a crash in
another hook, and returning immediately from that hook results in a crash in Apache/APR.

When these hooks are invoked, I've observed that several fields of the request_rec passed
to the hook function are NULL.
The fields that are NULL are always the same between runs, but differ between two Solaris/Sparc
machines (running Solaris 10 and the same version of Apache).

The fields that I've observed to be NULL are:
- request_rec.subprocess_env
- request_rec.notes
- request_rec.pool

The mod_jk.so in this case is built with gcc 3.4.6 with -static-libgcc (as is the Apache 2.0.64
it was built against).
The Apache the module is being loaded into is Apache 2.0.63 built with the SUNWSPro compiler.

Everything is built as 32-bit, and the mod_jk module loads and executes (to the point that
it is configured and initialised, hook methods are called, and it can perform logging etc.)

Does anyone have any ideas, short of building mod_jk using the SUNWSPro compiler, to explain
what is going wrong here?

cheers
tim