httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From <oh...@cox.net>
Subject Re: "Best practices" or recommendations for logging from a module?
Date Sun, 01 Jul 2012 18:55:31 GMT

---- ohaya@cox.net wrote:

> > ---- Joe Lewis <jlewis@silverhawk.net> wrote:
> > > Jim, you could use the log_error funtion all the time. Log_perror javits
> > > logging associated with a pool, and log_rerror is for requests. If
> > > possible, use log_rerror, because it puts the up address, etc into the logs.
> > >
> > > Joe
> > > On Jul 1, 2012 10:56 AM, <ohaya@cox.net> wrote:
> > >

> > Joe,
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Jim
>

> Hi,
>
> Oh, oh :(.
>
> I'm using:
>
> ap_log_error(APLOG_MARK, APLOG_DEBUG, 0, NULL, <my message>);
>
> all over the place, and even though I have only one LogLevel in the httpd;conf, at the
top level, set to "debug", I don't see those messages.

> The only ones I see are the ones that use APLOG_NOTICE.
>
> Why is this?  I thought that with LogLevel set to debug, that I should see all level
msgs output using ap_log_error?

> Thanks,
> Jim

Hi,

I think that I've found out why I'm not seeing those log messages.  Apparently, if the server
parameter is NULL, only APLOG_NOTICE message appear except for during startup.

So, I have use a server for that parameter, e.g. r->server, BUT, in some cases, e.g., in
a function like the response callback for libcurl, where the signature is pre-defined, and
where there is no request_rec or server_rec among the parameters, how can I get ap_log_error
to output anything (other than APLOG_NOTICE) messages?

Thanks,
Jim