httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From <oh...@cox.net>
Subject Re: "Best practices" or recommendations for logging from a module?
Date Sun, 01 Jul 2012 16:55:52 GMT

---- ohaya@cox.net wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm working on my 1st module, and everything seems to be working so far.  At this point,
since it's a first module, and I've been doing lots of debugging, mostly running Apache in
single process mode (-k start -X), I've only been using printf to output various things.

> I am somewhat loath to remove some of the printf output, esp. since my module is still
pretty raw (though working), but I'm starting to look into how I can switch from using printf
to whatever is "normally" used for logging output from Apache modules.

> Given that I don't want to completely remove the ability to output the debug output,
is there a best practice for logging from an Apache module?  Is it just to use the apr logging
calls, and set the level to debug?

> Thanks,
> Jim

Hi,

Also, I guess that, other than the functions take different parameters, I don't quite "get"
why there are 4(?) different log functions (apr_log_error(), apr_log_rerror(), etc.).  Can
I just use one of them all the time, e.g., apr_log_error()?

Jim