httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From Sorin Manolache <sor...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Anyone have some example code doing simple HTTP GET request from within a module?
Date Sat, 23 Jun 2012 07:30:51 GMT
On 2012-06-23 04:47, ohaya@cox.net wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Per earlier threads on this list, I've been working on an Apache module.  For the time
being, I'm kind of stuck because of the problems that I've run into with trying to integrate
my module with a 3rd party library, so just for my module, which is mainly a proof-of-concept,
I'd like to have my module do an HTTP GET request.

> So, I was wondering if anyone has some simple example code for doing that from within
a module, maybe using libcurl, or just natively using sockets?

> I'm trying to do this myself, and I've been looking at using libcurl, but most of the
examples that I've seen use the "easy" setup, so if someone has something like that that can
be shared, it'd be a big help.  Conversely, if I figure it out, I'll post some working snippets
here :)...

I'll say the same thing as Ben, try with apache, either mod_proxy or
ap_run_sub_request. That if you make one outgoing request per incoming
request. If you want several outgoing requests, in parallel preferably,
per incoming request, then go with some 3rd-party library.

I have some in-house C++ wrappers for libcurl (curl_multi_* + timeouts +
client pools), but they are not straightforward to use, a lot of setup
is involved, and they are not thoroughly tested.