httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From Sorin Manolache <sor...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Protocol converter module
Date Tue, 05 Jun 2012 09:48:40 GMT
On 2012-06-05 10:09, Robert Mitschke wrote:
> Dear Sorin,
>
> thank you very much for your thoughts and shared experience on this. Doing
> it as a protocol handler I guess does work. In the protocol handler I could
> then still call the hook for processing a http request that I am creating
> based on my proprietary protocol right?

When you say "process a http request" that you create you mean process
its response, don't you? Yes, you can get the response. For my SMPP
module I did with mod_proxy but I suppose you can do it with any http
client lib.

> I have also thought about the shared memory approach to communicate between
> the individual children. How would I go about listening on input from
> shared memory without doing a polling approach?

You could open a pipe in post_config (i.e. before the parent forks its
worker children). The pipe descriptors are then inherited by all
children. In process_connection you perform a timed select on two
descriptors: the socket from the non-http client and the reading end of
the pipe. When you get a triggering third-party http request, in your
http handler you write something to the shared memory to the writing end
of the pipe. This wakes up one of the non-http handlers which can check
if the triggering request was for the client it handles and then it can
proceed with pushing on the non-http socket.

> I guess in my usual process connection I would create some kind of a table
> of the open connections. Then I would spawn a separate thread in my
> initialization that listens to input on the shared memory. I need to
> respond to such input even if there is no incoming data on the connection
> and the normal connection processing is not taking place. If that input is
> there my self created thread determines on which connection to push out the
> data and pushes it out by simply calling the corresponding output filter
> chain, correct?

No, I don't think the thread is necessary. As I said above, each
non-http-processing thread performs a select that contains the pipe
reading end in its descriptor set.

When the select wakes up on socket activity => it handles the
non-http-data coming from the client.

When the select wakes up on pipe activity => it checks the shared memory
if it should write something to its client.

When it wakes up on a timeout => it writes something to its client.