httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Noordhuis <i...@bnoordhuis.nl>
Subject Re: thread ID
Date Thu, 01 Mar 2012 23:21:51 GMT
On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 17:29,  <sorin.manolache@orange.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would need a memory buffer associated per worker thread (in the worker
> MPM) or to each process (in the prefork MPM).
>
> In order to do that, I would need a map thread<->buffer. So, I would
> need a sort of thread ID/key/handle that stays the same during the
> lifetime of the thread and no two threads in the same process can have
> the same ID/key/handle.
>
> What is the most portable way to get this thread ID?
>
> I thought of r->connection->id. It works but it is not very portable as
> it is not guaranteed that two connections created by the same thread
> will have the same id. They do for now.
>
> If r->connection->sbh was not opaque it would be great, because
> sbh->thread_num would be exactly what I need.
>
> I could also use pthread_self. It works too but, in general, it is not
> guaranteed that the worker threads are pthreads.
>

> Thank you for your help.
>
> Sorin

What about apr_os_thread_current()? It returns a opaque value that's a
pthread_t on Unices and a pseudo-HANDLE on Windows. Read this[1] to
understand what that means.

As a recovering standards lawyer I should probably point out that
pthread_t is an opaque type that's not guaranteed to be convertible to
a numeric value (or to anything, really). That said, I've never seen a
pthreads implementation where that wasn't the case.

[1] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms683182%28v=vs.85%29.aspx