httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From Ray Morris <supp...@bettercgi.com>
Subject Re: Inject html into response body
Date Mon, 05 Dec 2011 07:47:19 GMT
> purpose. At first i think this is not that much hard to add just a
> url or just a text at the end of the page as a footer. But now, i
> think this is not that much easy to apply.

Have a look at mod_footer. However you're right, it's not as easy as
one might hope.

> > > Well, why don't you just write an output filter that does this? I
> > > think Nick's book will provide all the information you need.

Be aware that output filters are harder to get RIGHT than they appear
from the book and other similar sources. All of the other types of
modules other than filters are farily straightforward to learn from
the book or well known examples, in my opinion. The common examples
for filters show how to cause yourself problems, though. Examples in
the book consume memory proportional to the size of the resource, for
example, thereby creating a denial of service that could be triggered
accidentally or on purpose. Other examples mess up range requests and
other responses that aren't trivial. So I agree, it's "not that much
easy". It's easy to write bad filter, difficult to write a proper one.
(Too difficult for me, perhaps.)
--
Ray Morris
support@bettercgi.com