httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Montague <m...@catseye.org>
Subject Re: Infinite data stream from a non-HTTPD external process via HTTPD
Date Tue, 20 Sep 2011 15:14:29 GMT
On September 20, 2011 5:13 , Henrik Strand <henrik.strand@axis.com> wrote:
> I would like to send an infinite data stream from a non-HTTPD external
> process via HTTPD to the client connection. Both HTTP and HTTPS must be
> supported.

Dw.'s solution is a good one, especially if the external process you are
talking about is not a child process spawned by httpd.

In the special but very common case where the external process is a
child process spawned by httpd, then the easiest solution is to have
that process send its data to httpd (it's parent process) via STDOUT --
in other words, simply output the data as you normally would in any CGI
script or other active content.

To explicitly answer other questions:

- Yes, httpd supports sending "infinite" amounts of data as long as
output is sent at least as often as the value of the TimeOut directive
(see https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/core.html#timeout ) and as
long as the client (web browser, end user) does not close the connection
by pressing the Stop button or by doing something else.

- Anything that works via HTTP should also work via HTTPS, as far as I
know, including Dw's solution.

--
   Mark Montague
   mark@catseye.org