httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>
Subject Re: Infinite data stream from a non-HTTPD external process via HTTPD
Date Tue, 20 Sep 2011 10:16:46 GMT

On 20 Sep 2011, at 10:41, Henrik Strand wrote:

> On Tue, 2011-09-20 at 11:32 +0200, Ben Noordhuis wrote:

>> On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 11:13, Henrik Strand <henrik.strand@axis.com> wrote:

>>> I would like to send an infinite data stream from a non-HTTPD external
>>> process via HTTPD to the client connection. Both HTTP and HTTPS must be
>>> supported.
>>
>> What kind of external process are we talking here? Something that
>> prints to stdout, listens on a UNIX/TCP socket, something else?

> A process, running on the same system as httpd, that will generate a
> video stream (i.e., a stream of images and audio).

I found it very effective to use a socket pass (see Stevens[1] - or for the simplest case;
see

	http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.3/mod/mod_proxy_fdpass.html

Or google on (WSADuplicateSocket, ioctl(I_SENDFD), sendmsg() with access rights, etc).  Unfortunately
they are not quite as portable as one would want to.  Some old postings [2] may help, check
the apr socket code. As you need to do a bit of work on the receiving side.

Let me know if you get totally stuck - I may have some old cruft - though that was more to
then pass on to NPath - a proprietary load balancing technique to move the TCP connection
to another server altogether while having the return path bypassing the LB hardware itself.

Dw.

1: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0131411551/
2: http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/postfix/2000-09/1476.html
http://lists.canonical.org/pipermail/kragen-hacks/2002-January/000292.html