httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From Henrik Strand <henrik.str...@axis.com>
Subject Re: Infinite data stream from a non-HTTPD external process via HTTPD
Date Tue, 20 Sep 2011 11:02:57 GMT
Will a socket pass solution work with HTTPS as well?

Regards,
Henrik

On Tue, 2011-09-20 at 12:16 +0200, Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:
> On 20 Sep 2011, at 10:41, Henrik Strand wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2011-09-20 at 11:32 +0200, Ben Noordhuis wrote:

> >> What kind of external process are we talking here? Something that
> >> prints to stdout, listens on a UNIX/TCP socket, something else?
>
> > A process, running on the same system as httpd, that will generate a
> > video stream (i.e., a stream of images and audio).
>
> I found it very effective to use a socket pass (see Stevens[1] - or for the simplest
case; see

> 	http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.3/mod/mod_proxy_fdpass.html
>
> Or google on (WSADuplicateSocket, ioctl(I_SENDFD), sendmsg() with access rights, etc).
 Unfortunately they are not quite as portable as one would want to.  Some old postings [2]
may help, check the apr socket code. As you need to do a bit of work on the receiving side.

> Let me know if you get totally stuck - I may have some old cruft - though that was more
to then pass on to NPath - a proprietary load balancing technique to move the TCP connection
to another server altogether while having the return path bypassing the LB hardware itself.