httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Noordhuis <i...@bnoordhuis.nl>
Subject Re: mod_proxy and modified headers in filters.
Date Tue, 09 Aug 2011 13:37:24 GMT
On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 15:20, Zaid Amireh <tumbak@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Aug 8, 2011, at 3:56 PM, Ben Noordhuis wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 10:29, Zaid Amireh <tumbak@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I'm writing a module for Apache 2.2 that changes the content and thus needs to
set a new C-L header, all is working perfectly for static files and content generated from
content handlers (PHP & Ruby Passenger Phusion), an issue arose when testing with mod_proxy,
it seems that any changes the module does to the HTTP headers are being ignored by mod_proxy.

>>> mod_proxy keeps serving the headers it first got from the backend source and
disregards any changes my module does, is it possible to change the headers in this case?

>> Yes. Have a look at proxy_hook_fixups() in mod_proxy.h.
>
> I just tried proxy_hook_fixups and it runs even before the proxy gets the content from
the backend which is not what I need, I also tried the other hook proxy_hook_request_status
and this one runs after the content has been sent to the client which means changing the headers
in it will have no effect.

> I found proxy_hook_post_request which fits nicely to where I need to change the headers
but it is only executed when the backend sends an error so that won't work as well.

post_request should always run, excluding error conditions like bad
requests. Maybe that behaviour has changed over time but I don't think
so, most of the code in mod_proxy is pretty old.