httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Noordhuis <i...@bnoordhuis.nl>
Subject Re: illegal instruction 4
Date Thu, 07 Jul 2011 21:24:12 GMT
On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 16:33, MK <mk@cognitivedissonance.ca> wrote:
> I have a mod_perl based module running a service on an openVZ slice.
> It was working fine for a few weeks, but when I went to use it today I
> get delivered an empty page and in the apache error.log:
>
> child exit signal Illegal instruction (4)
>
> Which AFAIK is a very strange thing (SIGILL); actual perl errors are
> usually explicit, and passed on from the interpreter. To make sure the
> problem wasn't in my code, I replaced the module with a one liner:
>
> sub handler {
>       return SERVER_ERROR;
> }
>
> Same thing.  Ie, suddenly perl modules are working.  I did not compile
> apache or mod_perl myself.
>
> Anyone have any ideas about how I can solve this or debug it further?
> I have been playing around with small max stack sizes (ulimit -s 256),
> but resetting that to 8192 and restarting apache did not alleviate the
> problem.

I'm not sure if this is the right mailing list for you but if you want
to debug Apache, start it in single-process mode (`httpd -X`) and
attach `gdb` to it. That may be only nominally useful if your Apache
is compiled without debug symbols (unless you get a kick out of
stepping through assembly code).