httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From Massimo Manghi <massimo.man...@unipr.it>
Subject Re: per-worker-thread counter question
Date Thu, 30 Jun 2011 09:31:17 GMT
I found this problem conceptually interesting and worth of
generalization in many contexts. I'd like to know if Neil got around the
problem with something that could be a satisfying solution.

thanks

   -- Massimo

On 06/28/2011 04:57 AM, Neil McKee wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here's an easy question for someone who knows their way around...
>
> I want to maintain a new global counter,  but for performance reasons I am reluctant
to use a mutex or atomic_increment to update it.  I would rather maintain a separate counter
for every worker-thread,  and only accumulate the global counter when required.  (If the per-worker-thread
counter is 32-bit then I shouldn't even need a mutex when accumulating the total across all
the current threads).

> Obviously I shouldn't just declare something as "__thread apr_int32_t mycounter;" and
mince it together as a linux-only hack.  I'd like to find the portable apr-library way to
do it.   So I think I need to find the following:

> * - a hook that is called whenever a worker thread is started
> * - a hook that is called whenever a worker thread is about to die
> * - a hook to find_or_create a 32-bit integer that is private to the current worker-thread
> * - a fn to iterate (safely) over all the current worker threads
>
> It's the last one that seems particularly elusive.  I could't find an ap_ or apr_ library
call that seemed to do anything like that.

> If this has all been done before,   please can you point me to the relevant module sources?
 I think it would save me a lot of time.   Alternatively,  if you think I should just relax
and use an atomic increment instead,  then let me know.