httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Noordhuis <i...@bnoordhuis.nl>
Subject Re: module interaction
Date Sun, 27 Mar 2011 00:04:45 GMT
On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 00:23, Simone Caruso <info@simonecaruso.com> wrote:
> I think provider or apr_optional are what i'm looking for,
> i read mod_authnz_ldap for a provider sample and mod_ldap for apr_optional,
> maybe i have understood the logic, but... i don't understand the difference
> between these two approaches..
> there is a doc or someone can explain it ?

Providers are for when you have some common functionality that has
more than one implementation. Example: a session cache mechanism with
an in-memory and an on-disk implementation.

Optional functions let you expose your functions to other modules.
Example: mod_foo exports a function get_num_processed_requests() that
mod_bar calls when it generates a status page.

I wager that optional functions are what you're looking for.