httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From Zeno Davatz <zdav...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: mod_ruby on Apache for Windows 2.2.17
Date Fri, 11 Feb 2011 13:43:59 GMT
Dear Ben

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 2:34 PM, Ben Noordhuis <info@bnoordhuis.nl> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 14:11, Zeno Davatz <zdavatz@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Apache on Windows serves all requests from a single process.
>>
>> Apache on Linux does not do that?
>
> Nope. The worker and event MPMs are hybrids: serving requests from
> many processes, where each process has many threads. And if all
> processes are busy, Apache will simply spin up more.

Ok, thank you for this hint! I am reading this now:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/en/mpm.html

>>> The Ruby interpreter is not thread-safe so mod_ruby creates a Big Mutex
>>> whenever it needs to run. Thus on Windows, with its single-process
>>> model, mod_ruby can only serve one request at a time.
>>
>> So you say, that mod_ruby on Windows can _not_ leverage its power
>> because Apache on Windows is a single thread process?
>
> Effectively single-threaded when mod_ruby is serving a request, yes.

So in other words, what I am trying to achieve - trying to have a big
load of Traffic on Apache for Windows with mod_ruby - does not work
the same way as it does for Linux because of Apache for Windows
running in a single process with many threads.

So it is back to the books then.

Thank you for your help, Ben and Eric.

Best
Zeno