httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From Neil McKee <neil.mc...@inmon.com>
Subject Re: mod_sflow
Date Wed, 12 Jan 2011 00:21:48 GMT
I removed all the ap_assert() calls.

The "master" process that is forked at the beginning will simply bow-out gracefully if it
loses self-confidence,  which will result in the pipe being closed.  When a child processes
detects this (or any other IPC or mutex problem) it will log an error and go into a "logging
disabled" state where it will ignore all subsequent transactions and generally do as little
as possible.

http://code.google.com/p/mod-sflow/source/browse/trunk/mod_sflow.c?r=22

Does anyone have any comments about the choice of performance counters for HTTP?

typedef struct _SFLHTTP_counters {
  uint32_t method_option_count;
  uint32_t method_get_count;
  uint32_t method_head_count;
  uint32_t method_post_count;
  uint32_t method_put_count;
  uint32_t method_delete_count;
  uint32_t method_trace_count;
  uint32_t method_connect_count;
  uint32_t method_other_count;
  uint32_t status_1XX_count;
  uint32_t status_2XX_count;
  uint32_t status_3XX_count;
  uint32_t status_4XX_count;
  uint32_t status_5XX_count;
  uint32_t status_other_count;
} SFLHTTP_counters;

For example,  Ganglia already supports sFlow for monitoring cluster performance and could
easily be extended to monitor web-farms using these counters.

http://blog.sflow.com/2010/10/ganglia.html

Neil