httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From Franz Schwartau <fr...@electromail.org>
Subject New module for anonymous ip logging
Date Tue, 05 Oct 2010 22:49:41 GMT
Hi!

I wrote a small module to fulfil a privacy policy where logging of the
ip address is not allowed. It adds a new directive to LogFormat which
generates a MD5 hash of a "salted" ip address. It makes it look like a
IPv6 address. Thus statistics tools like AWstats have a chance to work.

Unfortunately writing a module isn't documented well. So some issues are
still open. The source code is available on github:

http://github.com/franzs/mod_log_iphash

How should the module react to a failed initialization of seed_rand() in
iphash_create_server_config() (line 90)? Returning NULL in
iphash_create_server_config() doesn't seem to help. I'd like to disable
the module somehow if the random generator could be initialized properly.

No other module checks if the return value of apr_palloc() or
apr_pcalloc() is NULL. Does it mean memory allocation via apr_palloc()
will never fail and memory size is indefinitely? ;-)

If you find other issues in mod_log_iphash please let me know. This is
my first module so please be gentle... :-)

	Best regards
		Franz