httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From "Thomas, Peter" <ptho...@HPTI.com>
Subject RE: Seeking suggestions on changes to mod_authnz_ldap [and possibly mod_ldap] supporting X.509/LDAP A&A [AuthType Certificate]
Date Wed, 21 Apr 2010 18:23:18 GMT
It's mandatory IFF:
  1) The certificate subject is the LDAP DN, AND
  2) There isn't an LDAP object attribute that can be uniquely mapped to a specific certificate
subject DN component

When it isn't mandatory--but the certificate subject is the LDAP object's DN--then an LDAP_SCOPE_BASE
search improves performance for LDAP servers--and thus for relying Apache servers.

I can't speak to importance--it's important to me, or I would have dropped it by now instead
of pressing forward.  I keep running in to people who have solved this or similar problems
at the application (or application server layer) [in PHP, RAILS, J2EE, Joomla, &c.]  It's
always seemed like this cries out for handling right where we do SSL termination & initial
AAA--in httpd.

This is never going to be something that the whole world wants; this capability applies only
to situations where X.509 certificates are distributed to users AND LDAP is used to make A&A
decisions based upon users' certificates presented to web servers.

--Pete