httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From Kevac Marko <ma...@kevac.org>
Subject Re: Finding memory leaks in httpd and httpd modules
Date Tue, 16 Feb 2010 22:12:22 GMT
On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 12:49 AM, Sam Carleton <scarleton@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am in agreement with mcqueenorama.  I have not done a ton of module
> programming, but what I have done is HEAVILY used by my app and core to the
> whole thing.  My best advise is don't use the pools other then the request
> pool unless you REALLY need to, even when the module is initializing there
> is a temp pool which Apache clears after initialization.

Thank you.
Yes, I really need to use pools that live longer than request and
sometimes I make mistakes which are causing leaks.
Using --enable-pool-debug=all is probably best advice by now. I will
try that shortly.

> I did run into a memory leak once that I found by simply checking all the
> pool usages, it turned out I was using a server pool rather then a request
> pool.

Something that automatizes that checking is what I am looking for :-)

> I NEVER use anything other then a pool for memory allocation.  The only
> exception is 3rd party lib's that allocate memory, such as my usage of
> SQLite, which I am sure allocates lots of memory, but I rely on it to clean
> up that memory, assuming I manage the resource correctly.  To date, all runs
> well!

I am using such libraries too. libmemcached for example.
Registering free() function to exec when some pool will be cleaned is
very useful apr lib feature.

--
Marko Kevac
Sent from Moscow, Mow, Russia